Do I Need A W2 to get Processed?

The W-2 is needed for your taxes to be filed but we can begin the process of evaluating your information from your last pay stub.

When Can I Claim Someone As a Dependent?

  1. Citizenship: The person you want to claim as a dependent must be a citizen of the United States or resident of the United States, Canada or Mexico. The child of a U.S. citizen is U.S. citizen even if he or she is born in a foreign country. Any child born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen even if the parents are not U.S. citizens. If you adopt a child from a foreign country, the child becomes a U.S. citizen when he or she arrives in the U.S. If you are adopting a child from a foreign country, the child must live with you in the U.S. the entire year to qualify as your dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person you want to claim, as a dependent must either be related to you or lived with you the entire year.
  3. No Joint Return Filed by Dependent: The person you want to claim as a dependent cannot file a joint tax return, unless the person and his or her spouse did not have to file a tax return, and would not owe any taxes if he or she had filed separate from his or her spouse.
  4. Income Limits (“Gross Income Test”): The person you want to claim as your dependent may not have had gross income of more than $2800 in 2000, except if the person is under 19 at the end of the year, or under age 24 at the end of the year, and is a full-time student for five calendar months of the year. Also, nontaxable scholarship money spent of tuition, books, and required fees is not counted. If the person is permanently and totally disabled and earns money from a tax-exempt workshop or government program, that money is not counted toward this test. Gross business profit and total rental income is counted. You can’t deduct the expenses of running the business or rental property.
  5. Support: You must provide more than half the support for the person you want to claim as a dependent.

I own a business; could you prepare my company’s payroll, W-2’s, 1099’s, etc.?

Yes. Besides preparing personal tax returns, we also work with many companies in preparing a wide variety of services for them.

Do you handle representation/auditing cases?


Do I need to schedule an appointment to prepare my company’s tax return?

Yes. An appointment is necessary.

Do I need to schedule an appointment to prepare my W2 or 1099?

No. You can send us your information by fax, email or by coming into the office.

I live out of State/Country or just can’t schedule an appointment; can I still get my taxes done?

Yes. If for some reason you can’t schedule an appointment, you can drop off, email, or mail your information to us. We will contact you once we have evaluated your information to address any issues we see and to ask any additional questions.

What type of information do I need in order to prepare my tax returns?

Select the Services Menu, scroll down to Helpful Resources then select Checklist.

How can I get an appointment?

Call our office at (504) 367-3554 and speak to one of our employees about setting up an appointment.

I just received a letter from IRS or State Department of Revenue. What should I do?

Call the number on the letter and ask for an explanation of the problem. If you still require help contact us and provide us with a copy of the letter and the explanation given.

About us

Ernest D. Kelly, LLC is a small, experienced, and dependable accounting firm specializing in accounting systems for small businesses and taxation for Individuals, Partnerships, and Corporations. Consultation, preparation, and representation services are also available. Since the company started in 1980, we have represented over 500 businesses and have served over 5500 individuals in 36 states and overseas...

List of Services

  • -Tax Preparation
  • -Full Payroll
  • -Accounting System Design
  • -Annual State Report
  • -Federal Payroll Tax
  • -Full Book-keeping
  • -Insurance Cost Analysis
  • -Tax Representation
  • -Annual Reporting
  • -Loan Packages
  • -Offer In Compromise

Contact Details

Ernest D. Kelly, LLC
3220 General De Gaulle Dr., Suite 200
New Orleans, LA 70114
United States

Phone: (504) 367-3554
Office: sherill@ernestdkellyllc.com

Find Us

View Larger Map

3220 General De Gaulle Dr., Suite 200